[linux-audio-user] [ANN] WhySynth DSSI softsynth

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Sun Oct 9 05:41:33 EDT 2005

Sean Bolton says:

> Introducing WhySynth, a DSSI softsynth plugin.
>
> WhySynth, as in 'Y'-synth, the super-sized, frankensteinized,
> evolved and mutated, still rather dorky younger sibling of
> Xsynth-DSSI.
>
> WhySynth, as in (I sometimes ask), "_why_ am I working on another
> softsynth instead of on paying gigs?" (Following my bliss?
> Addiction? One last shot at misspent youth?)

All I can say is WOW!

I got a chance to compile it and test it out a little tonight and am very impressed.

I haven't gotten to playing with all of the controls yet, but from the sound of the various patches this thing is great.

It reminds me a lot of the Alesis Andromeda, which is saying a lot when talking about a softsynth.  I am especially impressed with the LFOs and the ADSR variations, things I really like about the Andromeda.

I hope that you have the time to clean it up some more when you can, because this thing is great!

Thanks, Tracey.