[linux-audio-user] Programming Tempo Changes in Hydrogen

David Haggett david at haggett.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 08:12:05 EDT 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:44, Spencer Russell wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 07:54:45AM +0100, David Haggett wrote:
> > Is it possible to program a mid-song change in tempo into Hydrogen?  I'd
> > like to switch from about 88 to 110bpm at 2/3 of the way through.
> >
> > I thought about recording it into ardour in 2 stages, but it seems a bit
> > of a kludge.

> I've never tried it personally, but you should be able to just
> put the tempo change in Ardour, then sync it all up with Jack.

I thought of that too.  I've worked out how to get them in sync so that they
start and stop together (stopping the recording at the end of the drum track
is really useful).

I've noticed that Ardour reports the tempo to QJackCtl, but I can't seem to
get Hydrogen to take any notice (i.e. it continues pumping away at whatever
tempo is set in Hydrogen).

I'm using:
  jack 0.99.0 as provided by SuSE, but recompiled to use /dev/shm
  ardour 0.9beta30
  hydrogen 0.9.2
  qjackctl 0.2.16 (couldn't get 0.2.18 to compile)

Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

--

David Haggett