[linux-audio-user] sample-rate/bit-depth wav converter

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 09:23:39 EDT 2005

On 10/8/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Paul. It's looking like FreeSysle is possibly the app you were
> > thinking of? I'm trying it out today.
>
> yes, that was the one.
>
> > Old story, which I know you know, but I'd really like to see the
> > Region List beefed up so that it doesn't fail with large nubers of
> > files (it dies here with more than a few hundred files) and then
>
> i am just wrapping up rewriting the visual side of the region list for
> the gtk2 port. what do you mean by "dies with more than a few hundred
> files" ?

I've tried this a couple of times. I have some CDs with lots of drum
loops - about 800-1000/CD. I then have 20 or so Acid loop CDs, each
with 200-400 loops. All this stuff is on one of my 1394 drives. When I
tell Ardour to import the first CD's directory it works, and usually
works for the second CD also. At this point I can still expand and
shrink the directory listings in what I guess is the interface to the
sound file data base, but it's has gotten very slow. When I add in a
3rd CD with probably 300-400 loops what happens is even the visual
interface isn't working. I see the name of the first CD imported,
along with a '-' in a box, and maybe one downward line, likeit was
trying to draw the hierarchy, but it never prints anything else, and
the '-' won't contract to show me the second CD anymore.

I could send you some screen shots if it would help.

I do wonder if this isn't some basic database problem. Has anyone else
tried to put possibly 5-10 thousand files into their sfbd? I suspect
that this is an opportunity to use MySql waiting to happen.

> > someday have some of this retiming capability in Ardour. Of course,
>
> libaubio looks promising. soundtouch seems fundamentally unable to do
> the job correctly.

I tried building FreeCycle but it didn't build. I haven't found a user
list to subscribe to. The program does have a forum where I posted my
compile error. I'll continue to try and build it if I get some help.

Take care,
Mark