[linux-audio-user] [ANN] WhySynth DSSI softsynth

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Mon Oct 10 17:49:01 EDT 2005

On Oct 9, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> * When [playing WhySynth] from a MIDI keyboard, there's an audible
> delay
> between releasing the key until the note gets cut off.

Hmm, I haven't observed this on my end, except that it would
be expected if your output envelope mode is AASRR or ASRRR, or
even AAASR with a 'hold' shape on the last segment -- all of these
would appear to be delays before the note cut off.

> * Pedal hold gets recognized, but notes are only held until I release
> the last note. This way I cannot hold a note via the pedal and tweak
> parameters.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this either -- sustain works fine from both
vkeybd and my KX88 MIDI controller.  I'm really curious if you would
have the same trouble with Xsynth-DSSI or hexter, as their sustain is
based on very similar, but not identical code, and are well tested.
Something else you could try would be to edit src/whysynth.h and
define Y_DEBUG to be YDB_NOTE, then recompile, watch stderr
as you run it and see if the note on/off and sustain CCs are reaching
the plugin in the correct sequence.

> Anyway, a great piece of software. A great addition to ALSA Modular
> Synth and ZynAddSubFX.

Distinguished company indeed with which to be associated so. Thank you.

-Sean