[linux-audio-user] sub $200 sound card recommendations

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 12 13:06:59 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:38 +0100, Martin Habets wrote:
> It was 145 UK pounds. Maybe the dollar is sliding faster than I thought,
> but it's still in that ballpark. (go white sox! :)
>
> The UA-25 uses S24_3LE. See the link for a jack patch that kindof swaps
> the bytes, but it leaves byte 4 empty. Hence samples loose their sign plus
> more.
> Shouldn't the jack buffer convert the samples to a full 32 bit value?
> How are applications suposed to know how many bits are valid in the
> jack_port_buffer?

that is a meaningless question. all audio within the JACK graph is 32
bit float audio. there is no access to h/w-native data formats from
within the graph: only the backend has access to them, and that is where
the patch takes effect.

if the patch does not work correctly, we need to know (as does its
author).

--p