[linux-audio-user] sub $200 sound card recommendations

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 05:31:06 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:21:02AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm considering this unit for use mostly with a Mac Mini but possibly
> also with Linux once in awhile. Comments?

If you run linux on the mac mini, see below. As for mac os: i hardly ever
use it. It came with a driver cd rom to use the S24_3LE mode plus the midi
port on mac os/windows, plus sonar le for windows. Without the enhanced
drivers aparently it will only with in S16_LE mode. The CDs are still
unused, as the (wonderfull!) snd-usb-audio driver work with both enhanced
and non-enhanced mode.

> > The UA-25 uses S24_3LE. See the link for a jack patch that kindof swaps
> > the bytes, but it leaves byte 4 empty. Hence samples loose their sign plus
> > more.
> > Shouldn't the jack buffer convert the samples to a full 32 bit value?
> > How are applications suposed to know how many bits are valid in the
> > jack_port_buffer?
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1289682&group_id=39687&atid=425939
>
> Are you saying that patch is not applied or doesn't work for you?

Both kinda. Last time I looked it had not been applied, and jackd does not
start without it. With the patch recording levels show up wrong, but I'm
mostly there makeing a fix for that.

--
Martin