[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:17:32 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Hector Centeno-Garcia <h.centeno at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-13-10 at 21:54 +0100, guy wrote:
> >
> > Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> >
> > >On Thu, 2005-13-10 at 11:54 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > >
> > >Does anyone know of a potential VST host that we could try to run under Wine?
> > >(snip)
> > >

> > vsthost is a stand alone host for vst plug ins.  There is also a stand
> > alone host for vsti's called savihost.  Both are free but not open source.
> > http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
> > http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
> >

> That last one did work! Except that I can't get the midi signal from my
> keyboard. Anyone here knows how to configure wine to use jack? I can see
> that there is a jack driver but I can't find where to configure wine to
> use it. I'm using a recent version of winde and there is no more config
> file in my .wine directory.

Theoretically you will use winecfg and tell Wine through there to use
Jack as a sound driver. I've tried it once or twice and had no luck
but maybe it's better with recent versions of Wine/Alsa/Jack? Give it
a try.

AviiHost did not install for me in a clean environment:

mark at lightning ~ $ wine savihost.exe
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by
L"Z:\\home\\mark\\savihost.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"Z:\\home\\mark\\savihost.exe" failed, status c0000135
mark at lightning ~ $

MFC42.DLL is a standard Windows DLL. I'll have to grab a copy from the
DLL download site and see if that works.

Maybe one or both of these could be a candidate for taking to the Wine
AppDB and then having about 50 of us give our inputs to say it's
important.

One other thought. Maybe the Savihost developer will consider makign
the code Open Source? Maybe he has an interest in Linux, etc., and
would find it interesting to participate?

- Mark

- Mark