[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 09:57:06 EDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

> >Dave,
> >   I'm only here for a few minutes this evening. In the make file
> >there seems to be more or less a a single invocation of winebuild that
> >has 'debug' in it. Can we just remove it?
> >
> >   Since the option isn't supported, and wasn't in the man page, I
> >don't know what Torben intended in it's use.
> >
> >   Anyway, part of this exercise, in my mind, is finding a solution
> >that works AND is maintainable out into the future. I suspect that
> >when we get past this we will see it as our first, small maintainance
> >patch. What's important is that we don't go backward with old Wine,
> >but always forward with new Wine.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Mark
> >

> Hi Mark:
>
>   Unfortunately merely removing the --debug option doesn't resolve the
> options problem. Winebuild now uses "modes" to define its actions, and
> those modes are further defined by a set of options pertaining to that
> mode. The problem now is that I can't figure out the right combination
> of mode + option(s). The --dll mode requires a .spec or .def file that's
> not present in the xfst package. The --exe mode requires no spec file,
> but either it's not working as advertised or I'm still missing something
> about it. One of those modes is supposed to be used when winebuild
> creates a .c file.

I wonder if I might find some help on one of theWine lists. I'll try
there and let you know if I discover anything.

>   Btw, this is wine-20050930, I think you're on the same version, yes ?

Yes.

> We should also be sure to test DSSI.

What's DSSI? Answering self:

http://dssi.sourceforge.net/

>From a quick read, how does DSSI allow me to run commercial VST's? Not
clear. Seems like something homegrown that competes.

> As far as I can tell, the vstserver
> project is dead, and the fst project is on a back-burner, so perhaps we
> should concentrate on xfst and dss-vst with the latest WINE releases ?

xfst & latest Wine - definitely yes. What's dss-vst? Google didn't
tell me anything.

>   Also, I'm in the process of rewriting the VST+Linux tutorial, I'm
> displacing the vstserver and fst material and putting up front new
> material regarding my experience with xfst and DSSI. It should be
> completed tomorrow (I'm not at my Demudi machine).

Seems possibly a bit premature based on these results but I probably
don't have a good view. Clearly the jack_fst stuff that's been there
for the last year or more is probably no longer helpful to many. It
seems like xfst and at least last months Wine is probably a better
solution, but has it been tested with enough VST's to think it works
well? Performance? xruns? All the messy stuff of real life? ;-)

I certainly agree that any writing you do will be helpful.

Cheers,
Mark