[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 13:20:50 EDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:

> > Incidentally I'm following this thread with the greatest interest, as I've
> > all about given up on wine running anything "I" want to run on it, and am
> > looking forward to Dave's tutorial. Waiting in anticipation. Nigel.
>
> Hi Mark. Sorry about the last post. There are about 2 lines of info. Tried to
> progress to sourceforge to download dssi-vst, but konqueror suddenly starting
> using 100%+ cpu. Don't know if some disgruntled windows user has knobbled the
> sourceforge dssi-vst page. I was going to DL dssi-vst and see if there was
> anymore info about it in the README. Doh. Nigel.

Nigel,
   I don't know the status of dssi-vst, but it sticks in my mind (and
this was quite some time ago) that it didn't handle GUIs at all. It
only worked with VSts that ran in the backgorund or could run without
a GUI. I was surprised that this was useful, but I was told on the
Rosegarden list that there were numerous VSTs that worked this way.

   Anyway, I've not used it and up until now thought that it was a
pretty specialized piece of software. I could be very wrong about
everything above.

   From my POV, all Windows VST's of interest to me includes some part
of a GUI for control. It has been my thought that to get this GUI I
must run Wine, in one form or another. Possibly I'm wrong about that
or possibly DSSI has new capabilities.

   Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,
Mark