[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Oct 23 04:19:54 EDT 2005

On Sunday 23 October 2005 07:40, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 13:57, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > > Hi Mark:
> > >
> > >   Unfortunately merely removing the --debug option doesn't resolve the
> > > options problem. Winebuild now uses "modes" to define its actions, and
> > > those modes are further defined by a set of options pertaining to that
> > > mode. The problem now is that I can't figure out the right combination
> > > of mode + option(s). The --dll mode requires a .spec or .def file
> > > that's not present in the xfst package. The --exe mode requires no spec
> > > file, but either it's not working as advertised or I'm still missing
> > > something about it. One of those modes is supposed to be used when
> > > winebuild creates a .c file.
> >
> > I wonder if I might find some help on one of theWine lists. I'll try
> > there and let you know if I discover anything.
> >
> > >   Btw, this is wine-20050930, I think you're on the same version, yes ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > We should also be sure to test DSSI.
> >
> > What's DSSI? Answering self:
> >
> > http://dssi.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > >From a quick read, how does DSSI allow me to run commercial VST's? Not
> >
> > clear. Seems like something homegrown that competes.
> >
> > > As far as I can tell, the vstserver
> > > project is dead, and the fst project is on a back-burner, so perhaps we
> > > should concentrate on xfst and dss-vst with the latest WINE releases ?
> >
> > xfst & latest Wine - definitely yes. What's dss-vst? Google didn't
> > tell me anything.
>
> Hi Mark.
> Theres a bit about it on the DSSI home page, that I accessed from DSSI on
> planetccrma audio software list.
>
> > >   Also, I'm in the process of rewriting the VST+Linux tutorial, I'm
> > > displacing the vstserver and fst material and putting up front new
> > > material regarding my experience with xfst and DSSI. It should be
> > > completed tomorrow (I'm not at my Demudi machine).
> >
> > Seems possibly a bit premature based on these results but I probably
> > don't have a good view. Clearly the jack_fst stuff that's been there
> > for the last year or more is probably no longer helpful to many. It
> > seems like xfst and at least last months Wine is probably a better
> > solution, but has it been tested with enough VST's to think it works
> > well? Performance? xruns? All the messy stuff of real life? ;-)
> >
> > I certainly agree that any writing you do will be helpful.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> Incidentally I'm following this thread with the greatest interest, as I've
> all about given up on wine running anything "I" want to run on it, and am
> looking forward to Dave's tutorial. Waiting in anticipation. Nigel.

Hi Mark. Sorry about the last post. There are about 2 lines of info. Tried to
progress to sourceforge to download dssi-vst, but konqueror suddenly starting
using 100%+ cpu. Don't know if some disgruntled windows user has knobbled the
sourceforge dssi-vst page. I was going to DL dssi-vst and see if there was
anymore info about it in the README. Doh. Nigel.