[linux-audio-user] Whatever happend to the alsa config file?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 24 10:47:19 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 11:57, Alex Polite wrote:
> Last time I checked my distro (Debian) had a separate configuration
> file for alsa. Now this seems to be gone and alsacon just generates a
> file that specifies which kernel modules should be loaded. So under
> the present debian alsa more or less "just works", without the
> clueless user (me) doing anything.
>
> My problem is that I want to add a USB audio interface and there's no
> config file for me to edit. Rerunning alsaconf doesn't make a
> difference.
>
> alex
>
> --
> Alex Polite
> http://flosspick.org - finding the right open source

Hi Alex. You don't say what Debian version you're using, but my 3 Debian
installs were initially, Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)  which I upgraded online to
Sarge from the testing repo. (Sarge was testing at that time). One of my
installs is now still on the testing repo, so is gradually upgrading to Etch.
Looking at one of the Sarge installs, now on stable repo, I see no problems
with card details in /etc/modutils/sound . It looks like this at the moment.
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1   (Audigy2 soundblaster card)
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

The last two lines I added, as my usb-midi-keyboard was being detected as a
sound card. (usb is picked up very early in the boot process)
Just run update-modules after making the additions, and they are still there.

You probably are aware of this, but running update-modules after making
additions to /etc/modutils, updates the file /etc/modules.conf .

I've just booted up the Debian/Etch install, and that too shows no missing
files.
Incidentally all my Distros running music apps, run on the same machine.

Unless you're on Debian Sid (sailing close to the wind) and some update has
removed files. I don't have Sid so could not help if that's what you're
using.

What does cat /proc/asound/cards   show as to detected soundcards? Does it
show you're usb one as being detected.

All the best. Nigel.