[linux-audio-user] tool for unpacking .sfArk soundfonts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:12:44 EDT 2005

On 10/29/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 October 2005 10:55, Bill Allen wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > >Hi. Got myself a load of soundfonts from hammerfall. I'm ok for unpacking
> > >the .zips and .rar's on my Linux box, but I've never seen .sfArk files
> > >before. Is there a tool I can install on my Linux box to unpack these?
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm
> >
> > Note that the native linux util is only for sfark version 2 files. You
> > can use the windows version through wine.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bill
>
> Hi Bill. I sort of take back what I said about wine. SfArk works under wine on
> FC2, and so does the sfpack program, although that won't start from the wine
> menu, but anyway it works. So, sort of a thumbs up for wine for these two
> fairly basic programs. I suppose it's moving forwards, rather than backwards.
> Nigel.

I run the full version of Battery in Wine. I know Geoff Beasley runs
the full version of Kontakt. Wine functions at a very high level if
you find the right applications.

I 'trick' is knowing to pull in real Windows dll's once in awhile.
That helps a lot. It got Savihost running for me.

If we had an audio developer willing to look after the Wine Jack
driver then Wine would be even more useful.

- Mark