[linux-audio-user] SIS (SI7012) sound but limited mixer

Ryan Heise rheise at it.uts.edu.au
Thu Sep 1 20:16:15 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 01:38:28PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> The version of ALSA in the kernel trails the current ALSA version by
> about one major ALSA release (eg 1.0.8 -> 1.0.9).  The current kernel is
> 2.6.13 - 2.6.11 is 6-9 months old.  So it comes with an ALSA that's way
> too old to have the "softvol" feature that you need.
>
> The easiest fix is to just upgrade to kernel 2.6.13.  You also need to
> make sure to upgrade all other alsa-* packages to at least 1.0.9.
>
> The "debian way" (which as you know by now is usually the right way but
> NEVER the easiest way) is to install the ALSA source packages and use
> the Debian kernel build system to compile these modules separately, then
> install them with the kernel.  Check the Debian docs.

I recall you said once that installing 2.6.13 is a "terribly bad idea"
if you want a stable machine. You also mentioned that 2.6.12 was quite
stable.

Do you now recommend 2.6.13 or 2.6.12? What is the "debian way" to
install 2.6.13? Is there a package?

BTW, alsa-source 1.0.9b compiles and works fine for linux 2.6.11.

Ryan