[linux-audio-user] SIS (SI7012) sound but limited mixer

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Sep 1 13:38:28 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 11:20 -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> Lee,
>
> I built a new kernel 2.6.11 for this system (using the debian
> kernel-package tool).  I was under the impression that 2.6 kernel source
> included the ALSA by default.
>
> When I try to ./configure the latest ALSA it says that my kernel as the
> ALSA built-in.
>
> Can you clarify this for me?  If my kernel has ALSA built-in, how can I
> be sure that I am building it with the latest ALSA code as well?

The version of ALSA in the kernel trails the current ALSA version by
about one major ALSA release (eg 1.0.8 -> 1.0.9).  The current kernel is
2.6.13 - 2.6.11 is 6-9 months old.  So it comes with an ALSA that's way
too old to have the "softvol" feature that you need.

The easiest fix is to just upgrade to kernel 2.6.13.  You also need to
make sure to upgrade all other alsa-* packages to at least 1.0.9.

The "debian way" (which as you know by now is usually the right way but
NEVER the easiest way) is to install the ALSA source packages and use
the Debian kernel build system to compile these modules separately, then
install them with the kernel.  Check the Debian docs.

Lee