[linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

Hector Centeno h.centeno at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 7 21:19:37 EDT 2005

> While Linux has apps that the other platforms don't (like snd), it's
> still behind in offering choice. This is a extremely brief and
> insufficient summary, but it does point out that Linux may be there
> for a few jobs, but it's not there for most jobs.
>
> brad

Thanks to all of you for your replys!

Up to now I've been using Linux mainly for learning Csound and for
making electroacoustic "academic" music (as I'm mainly a "classical"
music composer). I recently moved to Canada and while waiting for my
immigration documents (and stretching my savings) I've been thinking
about how  am I supposed to make a living as a composer. I was
considering to compose and sell some "commercial" music (sorry for the
quoting but  I just want to enfasize that I'm using the therms in a
conventional neutral way without judging the value of the different
music styles) for TV or film.

 I really support the open source concept and the Linux culture but
through this short time that I've being discovering the Linux-Audio
world I found that for electroacoustic music Linux is excellent and
powerful and that I wouldn't switch back to Windows. On the other hand,
regarding making commercial music for media (what could possibly give me
a way of making a living) I found that there is a big lack of tools that
can help you to produce within the demanding time lines of this kind of
productions. There are not enough virtual synthesizers and not enough
ways of synchronizing them and automate them. The sampler area is also
not very strong (LinuxSampler seems very promising, though). I know that
I could easily do everything in Csound but the learning curve is a
little bit steep and facing a short time lines I wonder if I will have
the skills to program that fast.

... any way, I'll keep the adventure going! Thanks again for your words.
Some are very encouraging.

to Greg Wilder: I found your personal web site some days ago and it was
very encouraging to read your words and listen to your good music!

peace,

Hector.