[linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Sep 7 19:12:32 EDT 2005

Hector Centeno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I was having a little of a debate with a good friend about
> the possibilities of Linux/open-source audio and music software in the
> music market. What are your opinions about this? Is someone there
> actually making money using Linux and/or open-source software? Is it
> possible to be competitive in a market full of musicians/composers
> using Win/Mac+proprietary software (Cubase, Reason, ProTools and
> friends)? Probably this has been addressed more than once previously,
> so sorry for insisting... I think I need some encouragement!

It depends on what part of the music biz you're in. ;-) It encompasses
quite a bit, and it is clear that (of course) Linux does not have all
the tools for every discipline.

As mentioned, several have reported using Ardour, etc. in their studios
for recording -- maybe they are replacing workhorses like Pro Tools. We,
on the other hand, have 2 studios that double as music composition and
sound design studios (1 has a Foley and voice over area.) Some of our
work can be done in Linux (SFX and voice recording, for instance.) In
windows, we primarily use Sonar, Vegas, Sound Forge, Reaktor, and a ton
of VST plugins everyday for composition. Rosegarden is nice and can
substitute for Sonar. But, there are no applications that can easily
synchronize audio and video in Linux. We use Vegas to score to picture
(http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=965).

The other big difference between Windows/Mac world and Linux is variety.
There are many good sequencers, recording tools and sound editors for
both the Mac and Windows platform. Linux is just too young to have that
much variety. (e.g. If you don't like Sonar, try Cubase. They are both
good. Don't like Wave's L3?...... well. you get the picture)

Oh.. drivers... Lots of ALSA drivers, but not all cards are supported.
It's been beat to death here, so no need to elaborate.  Just wish the
mfrs would release info... especially for firewire audio devices.

While Linux has apps that the other platforms don't (like snd), it's
still behind in offering choice. This is a extremely brief and
insufficient summary, but it does point out that Linux may be there for
a few jobs, but it's not there for most jobs.

brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124