[linux-audio-user] Re: External interface with many inputs

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 23:37:33 EDT 2005

On 9/17/05, Ross Vandegrift <ross at jose.lug.udel.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:14:39PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > > they already had pretty cool looking 8+ analog I/O firewire boxes that
> > > I sadly turned away from.
> >
> > if you were using ieee1394 for audio "years ago" it was either mLAN or
> > some utterly proprietary
>
> Heh, I wasn't using - just stumbled across it a while back while
> looking at interfaces.  I drooled a little bit, but then read about
> the impossibility of getting it to work with free software.
> >
> > > Google didn't turn up anything obvious ::-)
> >
> > there are currently 3 ways that ieee1394 can be used with audio:
> [snip]
>
> Thanks for the update Paul - sounds like not as interesting an avenue
> to persue as I maybe was hoping.

How about an echo layla with the pcmcia card? enough inputs and
supposed to work fine... though i'd check from someone who actually
has one. I was looking at one for a bit but decided buying a new
machine (desktop) was a priority, as i don't really need all those
inputs. http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/Laptop/index.php you
can pick them up on ebay, as they have been discontinued, in favour of
firewire.