[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

Burkhard Ritter burkhard.ritter at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Sep 28 17:36:21 EDT 2005

I hope it get's through this time...

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:23:25PM +0200, Antonio wrote:
> Hi to the list,
>
> I've a problem starting jackd from a a normal user. I'm on debian
> testing and even using non-realtime mode I got this message:
>
>   $ jackd -dalsa
>   jackd 0.100.0
>   Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>   jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>   under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
>   JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>   cannot create /dev/shm/jack-1000 directory (Permission denied)
>
>   cannot create server sockets
>   cannot create engine
>   $ _

Hello.

As Mark Knecht has already pointed out, this is a permission issue. I am
using Debian unstable (with udev) and for me it looks like this:

~: ls -lhd /dev/shm/
drwxrwxrwt  3 root root 60 2005-09-28 22:50 /dev/shm/

Eventually installing udev (apt-get install udev) will fix the problem.
Or you can simply set the permissions with chmod.

Burkhard