[linux-audio-user] A couple of questions

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Apr 2 17:09:49 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 14:40 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 12:37 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > System->Preferences->Sound then select the USB audio device from the
> > "Default sound card" menu
> >

> Lee,
>
>     You shouldn't throw these out without saying where they are.  I'm
> assuming this is some Gnome thing in some menu somewhere.

Sorry,

Yes, it is.  It's not a gstreamer thing though - it's a front end to
asoundconf(1) which appears to have been recently developed for Ubuntu.
It looks like a nice design, here's the man page.

asoundconf(1)
asoundconf(1)

NAME
       asoundconf - utility to read and change the user's ALSA library
configuration

SYNOPSIS
       asoundconf is-active

       asoundconf get|delete PARAMETER

       asoundconf set PARAMETER VALUE

       asoundconf list

DESCRIPTION
       asoundconf  configures  the ALSA library for the user.  It does
this by reading the values of parameters from and writing the values of
       parameters to the special file .asoundrc.asoundconf in the user's
home directory.  The .asoundrc.asoundconf file should not  be  edited
       by hand!

       The  .asoundrc.asoundconf  file  only has an effect on the ALSA
library if it is included by the user's .asoundrc file, also located in
       the user's home directory.  When asoundconf is run and it finds
either that the ~/.asoundrc file does not exist or that the file exists
       and  contains  the  markers  of  the  obsolete
set-default-soundcard  program then asoundconf adds the required
inclusion statement to
       ~/.asoundrc; otherwise asoundconf does not change ~/.asoundrc.
Hence, if you want to disable control  of  ALSA  library  configuration
       parameters  by  asoundconf  then  simply  comment  out  this
inclusion statement but do not delete the ~/.asoundrc file.  (It is OK
for
       ~/.asoundrc to be an empty file.)

WARNING
       This program is under development.  Its features will change
without notice and without preservation of backward compatibility,
except
       insofar  as  they  are  put  to  use by other components of the
Debian and/or Ubuntu operating systems.  (As of this writing the Ubuntu
       developers have plans to use asoundconf for setting the value of
defaults.pcm.card from the system sound preferences menu.)

FILES
       ~/.asoundrc
              user-specific ALSA library configuration file

       ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf
              file containing asoundconf-managed parameter settings

AUTHOR
       This program was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>
for Ubuntu.

                                                                  30 Sep
2005                                                    asoundconf(1)