Skype and LAU (Was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Skype + emu10k1)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 20:31:44 EDT 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 18:47, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:
>> Is Skype for Linux really such a piece of crap, that it won't work
>> with one of the best supported devices?
>
>Sorry if my next words sound grumpy, it's not meant to be that grumpy
>and of course it's not meant against you personally at all, rather to
>start a discussion on the general topic "Skype and LAU":
>
>In my opinion Skype questions are off-topic on this list. Any Skpe
>questions should go directly to the Skype support team. The Skype
>folks have made it clear that they don't want to deal with open source
>developers and they won't support open standards, instead they promote
>their proprietary system. I would prefer it if this mailing list would
>not become a Skype support forum.
>
>What do others think about this?
>
>Ciao

I tend to disagree with this, after all skype is another form of audio
usage that linux can do.  Since I have in effect 2 audio cards, the one
on the motherboard, not having near as many bells and whistles as the
audigy 2 value, is isolated for use with skype, and all other system
sounds are routed to the audigy.  Someone on this list helped me
achieve this, and I'll be only too glad to help someone else in a
similar endeavor.

The fact that skype is a controversial subject all by itself has little
or nothing to do with it until they've been proven guilty of exploiting
a yahoo/time warner sort of a TOS implementation.  FWIW, thats exactly
why my sig says what it says.  No schmuck at aol/tw/yahoo is going to
get rich from an innocently made remark I might make in an email
message that passes through their servers without me being enriched by
it when and if I discover it.  Or at least thats how I intend it with
my pre-emptive copyright notice.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: