[linux-audio-user] A couple of questions

Tue Apr 4 21:47:20 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 21:27 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 18:18 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > Ubuntu Dapper will.  It can't be enabled OOTB because of the "secure by
> > > default" requirement,
> >
> > Well, that's what I meant by OOTB...
>
> What do you think is the best solution for a generic distro, that can't
> allow the user to lock up the machine in the default config?  I think a
> watchdog is probably the only "zero-conf" solution.

Yes, maybe that would be a workaround. It still looks to me like it will
be impossible (with the current state of the art) to enable something
like this in a generic distro.

Maybe an additional package that configures only this option? To be
installed by users who (supposedly) know what the consequences might be?
For that to be "packageable" /etc/security/limits.conf should be
splittable into different files I guess, otherwise you would depend on
scripts to tweak that. Anyway, does not look good either.

Obviously it depends on what your audio needs may be. If running Jack
without -R is fine then the problem goes away :-)

-- Fernando