[linux-audio-user] magic mastering tips needed

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Apr 5 19:35:21 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:42 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the following track:
>
> http://www.atte.dk/at_slum_avenue.ogg
>
> It's a recording of one of my tunes with my jazz quartet. The recording
> quality leaves a bit to be desired. I hope some of you mastering gurus
> would lend an ear, explain what you think should be done and in what
> program, maybe someone could even find the time to generate an improved
> file. At least I hope to learn a bit about digital audio and mastering
> along the way.
>
> A few notes:
>
> A valid question would be "but how do you want it to sound?". Well, good
> :-) At least I think it needs more high frequencies, more definition and
> more presence.
>
> Needless to say, I'm on a linux-only system, so any tools should be
> linux stuff, but you probl. guessed that :-)

    Nice track.  I played around with it a bit.  If you want to try
JAMin take the attached file and place it in your .jamin directory
(uncompress it first).  You can use alsaplayer with the -o jack option
and run that in to JAMin or use Ardour for both in and out.  The
at_slum.jam file should show up in JAMin if you go to File->Open.  I
only spent a few minutes on the settings.  You really don't want to push
this track too much as you'll lose some of the dynamics.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744