[linux-audio-user] magic mastering tips needed

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Wed Apr 5 19:51:52 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 03:42:24PM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> http://www.atte.dk/at_slum_avenue.ogg
>
> It's a recording of one of my tunes with my jazz quartet. The recording
> quality leaves a bit to be desired. I hope some of you mastering gurus
> would lend an ear, explain what you think should be done and in what
> program, maybe someone could even find the time to generate an improved
> file. At least I hope to learn a bit about digital audio and mastering
> along the way.

The sound isn't bad at all - it's just _that_ type of sound and you
like it or not. As it is you get the intimate feel of a very small
jazz club. It could be made a bit more 'contemporary' by adding some
equalisation and some reverb. But unless you have this as a
multitrack session and you can remix it and apply the EQ and reverb
selectively, I'd leave it alone, maybe just adding some very light
HF shelving to give it just a touch more brightness.

The major problem is that some parts are horribly out of tune, at
least to my ears...

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!