[linux-audio-user] Avenger Update

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 21:24:04 EDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:38:05 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    I don't know if this is by design but I'm unable to download the
> > OGG file due to the way the link is constructed it appears. It also
> > seems that on my AMD64 Gentoo machine that mplayer doesn't like
> > something in the file as I get about 1/4 second of sound and then it
> > just stops. Firefox was hung and there were mplayer processes that had
> > to be killed.
> >
> >    This set of problems is consistent for all the links on the page I
> > tried. The download problem also occurred on my Mac Mini running OSX
> > 10.4.6.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> I certainly don't want to stop *anybody* getting the files. I don't
> understand what is going wrong. I have just rechecked it myself and it
> seems to be working perfectly for me. (I'm on dialup but the 1st 2MB
> seems sound fine) but then I am obviously working from the same ISP so I
> don't know if there is some server-side problem that is corrupting
> links/data.
>
> I am using Firefox 1.5 on Mandrake 10.1. The files were coverted to ogg
> from wav by Audacity.
>
> --

OK, I'm sure it's a problem here but I haven't had much trouble with
other links, and since it also happens on the Mac, maybe there's
something a bit non-standard about how it's all put together.

Clearly part of the problem could be trying to play something on an
AMD64 machine. I'll check later on my wife's 32-bit Gentoo machine.

When I copy the link itself and paste it in a terminal I see:

http://www.folderol.ukfsn.org/clickcount.pl?Awakening_The_Avenger.ogg

On the Mac when I tell it to save the file the link only goes as far
as the '?' and quits so I think that must be part of it. I suspect I'm
having similar problems on the AMD64 machine. Possibly some sort of a
UTF8 problem in Gnome?

Using wget and the full link including the '?' and the file name works
and I'm able to download it that way.

OK, having listened to it it sounds like an interesting start. Clearly
it's still very early. The chord patterns are interesting. I look
forward to hearing where you take it.

Thanks,
Mark