[linux-audio-user] Linux distro to run audio on PPC

Ismael Valladolid Torres ivalladolidt at terra.es
Sat Apr 8 07:59:23 EDT 2006

Martin Habets escribe:
> I don't know any distro with a good kernel for audio, so my advice is
> to build your own kernel. Personally I run Debian, but I liked Yellowdog
> too when I used that.

Debian runs lovely on an Apple Mac and if brave enough running sid
you'll have decently recent enough kernels and audio apps available
with no need for compiling.

> Maybe all you need to do is build your own kernel and stay with Yellowdog.
> Are you seeing any specific problems?

As far as "any Linux is Linux" Yellowdog will be ok too. Also Ubuntu
which is Debian based and there are Ubuntu gurus hanging out this
mailing list. ;)

> The graphics driver can cause latency problems without the right kernel
> configuration, or kernel patches. This used to bite me (Radeon Mobility M7).

Yes. Also it looks like regarding latency kernels for x86 are better
tuned than those for ppc but this could be only a personal feeling.

> As for outboard: try to get stuff that is big-endian too. I've had to get or
> make patches to deal with endian-ness after getting a litte-endian Edirol
> UA-25. Those are not all official yet.

!!!

Cordially, Ismael
--