[linux-audio-user] alsa client numbering

Chris Cannam chris.cannam at ferventsoftware.com
Tue Apr 18 04:53:30 EDT 2006

On Monday 17 Apr 2006 13:46, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> > I just downloaded, patched and installed 2.6.16.5-rt14. Works fine,
> > but for the first time in my life have 'Midi Through' gotten client
> > number 14, my evolutions keyboards are 24 and 28
>
> The client numbering scheme was reorganized in ALSA 1.0.11rc1 because
> there were too many unused reserved numbers and not enough free
> numbers for more than eight cards.

Incidentally this unannounced change broke Rosegarden 1.0.  Rosegarden
relies on the client numbers to determine whether a port is system,
hardware or software -- there are significant functional differences
between the types of port, and I see no other way to find out which
type a port is -- if there is one, I'd dearly like to know.

So users of RG 1.0 are strongly advised not to upgrade ALSA, or to
upgrade to Rosegarden 1.2.3 at the same time (which has a workaround).

Chris