[linux-audio-user] New sound card problems - getting longer - Pah!

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Apr 20 19:24:24 EDT 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 21:01, Folderol wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:12:29 +0200
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 April 2006 22:11, Folderol wrote:

> > > I've never worked out how to do this. if I try to load the 'file' I
> > > just get 100% cpu usage producing nothing.
> >
> > Hi Folderol. Use cat.
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > cat /proc/asound/version
> > etc. Nigel.
>
> OK Thanks. It seems that the system doesn't think there is a soundcard
> there, although MCC says there is and the driver is installed for it!
>
> BTW I gave up on Suse completely in the end - too many problems. I then
> used the spare disk to do a fresh install of Mdk with the new card
> installed (I've know Mdk to get upset by hardware changes in the past).
> However that gave exactly the same result with a basic install and no
> messing about, so presumably Mdk 10.1 is just too old for this card. I
> was waiting for a more stable Mdr (2007 maybe) before doing an upgrade
> of my main system.
>
> However...
>
> I have managed to get my greasy little paws on a copy of Demudi. This
> installed perfectly and in no time at all I was admiring the
> considerably improved output quality of the new card, and able to make
> clean recordings AND use if for MIDI with no messing about. I've been
> able to get Rosegarden controlling softsynths and my external synths.
> This sounds very nice, but I haven't worked out how to record the
> results yet!
>
> But...
>
> I really dislike the gnome desktop. It seems incredibly flaky if you
> try to alter the configuration at all - visions of Windows policies.
> Also I've never used debian before and am finding it very strange. How
> do you install an alternative window manager etc? I'm used to ROX, ROX
> Session and OroboROX and so far I have had no success getting those on
> the system.

Hi Folderol. I use KDE, and very occasionaly Gnome. I looked on synaptic on my
Debian Sarge install for window managers, and found Oroborus. Description
below from synaptic.

A lightweight themeable windowmanager for X
Oroborus is a small and simple window manager which does exactly what
it says it does, manage windows. There is no fancy doc, clip, wharf, or a
root menu for that matter. These utilities can be provided by other programs
such as "deskmenu". Oroborus has support for Gnome and session management,
or can be run as a stand-alone window manager. This package has also been
compiled with Xinerama support.

Oroborus is small, about 50Kb at the time of this package. It has full
keyboard control and is very themeable.

The version shown is 2.0.13-1  (my comment)

I doubt whether this is installable from the Debian stable repo onto your
Demudi install, but anyway, here's the URL for /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

> So...
>
> My current position is that I have one HD with my general working OS on
> it, and swap it over with another if I want to play (very carefully)
> with audio. This tends to put a crimp on any creative activity for
> either!

It's been a few days. Have you got the recording sorted out now?

Nigel.