[linux-audio-user] serial Midi with Korg05r/w

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 07:51:07 EDT 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 12:30, pr.pa at web.de was like:
> i'm new to this list, so i hope i'm doing everything right.
>
> I want to use my Korg 05 R/W midi soundmodul via the serial tohost
> interface as an midi Soundmodul for midi data coming from the linux-box
> and (!) as an Midi Interface for my keyboard connected to the korg05r/w.
>
> In other words : the soundmodul should play my midis from computer and
> should transfer the midi data coming from the keyboard to the computer.
>
> the keyboard is connectet with midi-in and the computer is connected to
> to-host.
>
> I'm using the snd-serial-u16550 driver from alsa.

OK, I am not familiar with this device. Is this essentially a soundcard or is
it slightly different in some way?

> After having a few problems it works, with only one Problem:
>
> I have to "restart" (turn off and turn on) my soundmodul everytime i
> change the program or the midifile.
> In some midifiles i have to restart it in the middle.

Weird.

> In windows i didn't have this problem, so i think it havt to work unter
> linux, too ?

No, not necessarily - this just means you don't have any hardware problems.
Look your device up here to see if it is supported by ALSA:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
If there are further configurations you need to make they should be listed
here. Other places worth looking are:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/
http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq

--