[linux-audio-user] Re: customize equalizer for XMMS?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Aug 17 20:43:37 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 17:31 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Yes, there's a ton of powerful LADSPA plugins that can be used directly
> from within XMMS. E.g., I loaded the TAP EQ BW and only flattened the
> peak at 9kHz and filled the valley at 16kHz and... wow! what a
> difference it makes!
> The phones are still a bit harsh but now they're bearable.
>
> I wish that EQ could go below 40Hz so I can fill in the hole in the low
> frequencies. Well, I guess I could always load up a parametric EQ but it
> would be nicer to solve all the issues with just one plugin.

FWIW

I'm using the XMMS LADSPA plugin, with the following filters:

- TAP Equalizer/BW with -10dB at 9kHz and +6dB at 16kHz (to fix the
hi-freq unevenness)
- 4-band parametric filter with +15dB and bandwidth 1.7 at 20Hz (to fix
the lo-freq dip)
- Simple Amplifier with a -15dB gain over the entire spectrum (otherwise
the LADSPA chain gets overloaded by the 4-band filter)

The phones sound awesome this way. The residual roughness that I was
complaining about is due to the fact that I'm listening to 128k
streaming MP3 radio stations.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/