[linux-audio-user] Mplayerplugin. Can it use Alsa?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Aug 19 18:43:23 EDT 2006

I lam listening to RTL radio.fr. It uses Realplayer for previous (listen
again) transmissions, but uses WMP for live audio streams. I gave up on
trying to get any version of WMP working under Wine, but Mplayerplugin is
working ok, but appears to be using OSS, as does RealPlayer.

Mplayer is setup to use Alsa, but Mplayerplugin's /etc/mplayerplugin.conf
indicates defaults for aRts, esd, and oss.  Does anyone know if it actually
is supposed to work with Alsa. I tried adding Alsa "ao=alsa" , but then
Firefox connecting to the RTL site, and clicking the "listen live" button
resulted in some buffering, but then it just stopped (no more traffic), which
seems to indicate that Alsa is a no-go with Mplayerplugin.

I use aoss with Opera to listen to bbc.co.uk/radio4, using the RealPlayer
plugin, but there is some crackling on top of the speech when using aoss, but
I can use Gaim at the same time, and receive Gaim's sounds.

Soundcard is Ensoniq PCI (ens1371 driver)  (No hardware mixing)

Although I can't use other music apps at the same time, I must say that the
Mplayerplugin using "mplayerplug-in-wmp.so" works really well with RTL
radio.fr, listening to live music. I've had no audio dropouts like I get with
the BBC using realplayers nphelix.so.

Any suggestions with the Mplayerplugin, and Alsa problem welcome.

Nigel.