[linux-audio-user] Mplayerplugin. Can it use Alsa?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sat Aug 19 19:13:53 EDT 2006

On Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 12:43:23AM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I lam listening to RTL radio.fr. It uses Realplayer for previous (listen
> again) transmissions, but uses WMP for live audio streams. I gave up on
> trying to get any version of WMP working under Wine, but Mplayerplugin is
> working ok, but appears to be using OSS, as does RealPlayer.
>
> Mplayer is setup to use Alsa, but Mplayerplugin's /etc/mplayerplugin.conf
> indicates defaults for aRts, esd, and oss.  Does anyone know if it actually
> is supposed to work with Alsa.

yep. works great here. although i recently switched to ao=jack since jackd 1.0.2 no longer segfaultks with divide by zero errors in the alsa-interface callback every 5 minutes like previous versions.

fwiw, every line in my /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf is commented out, so its just using whatever is in /etc/mplayer.conf. which makes getting audio running smoothly easy to debug.

note also, that WMV and RealMedia are supported in recent versions of FFMPEG. so update that, and your mplayer, and you cna proably remove your proprietary codecs...which could possibly improve playback reliability..since its not using a hacked dlopen and weird pointer tricks to run windows binaries...