[linux-audio-user] Mplayerplugin. Can it use Alsa?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Aug 19 19:38:25 EDT 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 01:13, carmen wrote:
> On Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 12:43:23AM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I lam listening to RTL radio.fr. It uses Realplayer for previous (listen
> > again) transmissions, but uses WMP for live audio streams. I gave up on
> > trying to get any version of WMP working under Wine, but Mplayerplugin is
> > working ok, but appears to be using OSS, as does RealPlayer.
> >
> > Mplayer is setup to use Alsa, but Mplayerplugin's /etc/mplayerplugin.conf
> > indicates defaults for aRts, esd, and oss.  Does anyone know if it
> > actually is supposed to work with Alsa.
>
> yep. works great here. although i recently switched to ao=jack since jackd
> 1.0.2 no longer segfaultks with divide by zero errors in the alsa-interface
> callback every 5 minutes like previous versions.
>
> fwiw, every line in my /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf is commented out, so its
> just using whatever is in /etc/mplayer.conf. which makes getting audio
> running smoothly easy to debug.
>
> note also, that WMV and RealMedia are supported in recent versions of
> FFMPEG. so update that, and your mplayer, and you cna proably remove your
> proprietary codecs...which could possibly improve playback
> reliability..since its not using a hacked dlopen and weird pointer tricks
> to run windows binaries...

Thanks Carmen. I'll have a look at that tomorow. It's getting a bit late here
now, and my brains feeling a bit fried. My jack-audio-connection-kit on FC2
is only version-0.99.36-0.2.cvs.rhfc2.ccrma, so perhaps I may have problems
with that. Are these denormals problems you are talking about that are
causing the jackd segfaults?

I'll also have a good look at Mplayer to make sure it's using Alsa. The
version I have installed is MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2. I'll look for an
update for it, and also for FFMPEG.

Nigel.