[linux-audio-user] Beginner singing, music theory (guitar) and ear training, solfege?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 27 14:32:16 EDT 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 03:36, Loki Davison was like:
> I'm keen on learning to sing in my now extensive spare time. Anyone
> now of any good books or sites aimed at beginner singers?

AFA singing goes. I would actually recommend doing over reading. Get a singing
teacher, find one who does Jazz/Blues/Folk style singing rather than
classical. Find some people to sing with - joining a local singing group or
choir if one exists is by far the fastest way to gain confidence.

Learning some basic breathing exercises can be useful, by all means play with
solfege, why not? Relax everything, the only effort you put in should be from
the diaphragm. Find out your range - are you a bass, tenor or somewhere in
between? Sing stuff that is actually in your range, this is important.

Sing at every available opportunity and you will be a singer. Who told you you
couldn't sing anyway?
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
We are the people We've been waiting for.