[linux-audio-user] Re: Beginner singing, music theory (guitar) and ear training, solfege?

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 22:01:16 EDT 2006

On 8/28/06, tim hall <tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 03:36, Loki Davison was like:
> > I'm keen on learning to sing in my now extensive spare time. Anyone
> > now of any good books or sites aimed at beginner singers?
>
> AFA singing goes. I would actually recommend doing over reading. Get a
> singing
> teacher, find one who does Jazz/Blues/Folk style singing rather than
> classical. Find some people to sing with - joining a local singing group or
> choir if one exists is by far the fastest way to gain confidence.
>
> Learning some basic breathing exercises can be useful, by all means play
> with
> solfege, why not? Relax everything, the only effort you put in should be
> from
> the diaphragm. Find out your range - are you a bass, tenor or somewhere in
> between? Sing stuff that is actually in your range, this is important.
>
> Sing at every available opportunity and you will be a singer. Who told you
> you
> couldn't sing anyway?
> --
> cheers,
>
> tim hall

No one has told me I can't sing and i do it at all possible
opportunities. I sing while walking, cooking, working and of course
playing guitar. Singing leasons sound like a bit of a commitment
though... and quite scary ;) I wouldn't mind to try and work on
scales/etc by myself for a bit first... Just got solfege working so i
guess i'll give it a go.

I might have to add something to one of the linux audio wiki's or a
music wiki in general about how to acquire basic musical skills. ;)

Any of the AU lad's know where to get music books like the ones Michal
suggested? Easiest to get them from the amazon or can i get it
locally?

Loki