[linux-audio-user] spdif output clicking noises

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:51:14 EDT 2006

Cross posted as this is a request for advice rather than a bug/issue report.

When playing media using mplayer or xine,  and outputting using
ac3/dts passthru spdif, if I pause and resume playback, or seek, there
are brief, horrible clicking noises when playback resumes,  I assume
this is because the stream is interrupted and resumes wherever it left
off, so it outputs some garbage data that causes the noises.

Is there any way to prevent this? Perhaps it is possible to make alsa
dump the first 1/2 or even 1/4 second of audio that is played? That
would avoid the noises and I  could live with a slight delay when
playback  starts.

Thanks
Andy