[linux-audio-user] Some Random Thoughts

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 30 10:54:22 EDT 2006

I'm wondering how other people on here get their ideas and develop them.

To kick off with my own experiences, sometimes an idea comes at exactly
the right time so clearly that I can work on it immediately and get it
substantially complete in one day. More usually it develops slowly and
may take weeks or even months before I am happy with it.

Do any of you run several projects at the same time? Dropping them for
a while if you go stale on them. Do you look back on them and fiddle
with them sometimes when they are already 'complete'?

Sometimes it's a chord pattern that sets me off, other times it's a
melody line. There seems to be no clear priority. Does anyone else find
that an idea gets so bogged down you end up scrapping it completely?

Although my website is quite a recent innovation for me I've been
recording my work in one form or another for about 15-20 years now, and
seem to find that I only *really* like about 10% of what I've produced.
What about the rest of you?

I'm sometimes surprised by the opinions of friends, both positively and
negatively. Some really go a bundle on pieces I produced early on that
almost makes me cringe. Sometimes I get a negative comment on something
I think is really good. I've found it impossible to actually predict
the response of friends and family.

The unkindest cut came from my brother a long time ago, when he
described my work as "OK I suppose, but it's not as if it's real music."

--
Will J G