[linux-audio-user] Some Random Thoughts

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Aug 30 11:17:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:54:22PM +0100, Folderol wrote:

> To kick off with my own experiences, sometimes an idea comes at exactly
> the right time so clearly that I can work on it immediately and get it
> substantially complete in one day. More usually it develops slowly and
> may take weeks or even months before I am happy with it.

With my workstation keyboards, I sometimes rushed trough a project
in a few days. Doesn't happen anymore, with more choices comes
complexity.

> Do any of you run several projects at the same time? Dropping them for
> a while if you go stale on them. Do you look back on them and fiddle
> with them sometimes when they are already 'complete'?

Oh yes. Too many. Puts me under tension to have more than one thing
I feel I should complete ASAP. I'm way better with starting projects
than finishing them. Towards the end, the options in a project shrink
and the stress level rises. Way too often did I take the easy way out
and started something new instead of finishing.

... 28, 29 unfinished audio projects, many several years old :)

> Although my website is quite a recent innovation for me I've been
> recording my work in one form or another for about 15-20 years now, and
> seem to find that I only *really* like about 10% of what I've produced.
> What about the rest of you?

Maybe a bit more than 10% :)

> The unkindest cut came from my brother a long time ago, when he
> described my work as "OK I suppose, but it's not as if it's real music."

Early on, I once overheared my brother saying something along the lines
of "it's just boom boom boom and he appears to even like it" to my
parents. But back then, it was spot on ;)

--
Thorsten Wilms