[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 10:30:02 EST 2006

On 12/1/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Bill Allen wrote:
>
> > At the risk of repeating myself, in the time that I've been just
> > reading this thread (not to mention the time that you've been putting
> > into trying the stuff mentioned) I could have downloaded 64Studio, set
> > aside a 5-10 GB partition, installed it, and had a working system with
> > all the real-time patched AMD64 music-enabled system that you can get.
> > Yes, you've got to dual boot, I do it all the time. Ubuntu is my
> > family system that we use for work and play, but when I want to do
> > music I boot into 64Studio. It's simply a lot easier than trying to
> > make a general purpose distro into a music enabled one.
>
> Hear the man. I started writing a similar reply yesterday, but Bill's
> said it better here. Given the availability of multimedia-optimized
> distros I just don't see the point of putting myself through what the
> distro maintainers have already been through and mastered. Maybe it's an
> age thing, at mine I get someone else to do the heavy lifting. :)
>
> Really, I work with Linux audio software to make music. I lost interest
> in mucking about with kernel configurations long ago. Yes, I'm glad I
> know how to do some of that stuff by myself, but I no longer consider it
> a necessary part of the process. I agree with Bill, use 64Studio,
> PlanetCCRMA, or some other optimized distro and save yourself time and
> energy.

All right, I'll give it a try, in two weeks.  I'll check out both of
those, though I am really interested in getting Debian to work for
audio, and for the wireless card which is still a problem.  For now,
everything I need and the programs I'm used to are still working in
Windows.  It pains me, but I don't have any choice.