[linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 12:54:28 EST 2006

Hello,
   It seems that there is a general sense of frustration among the
linux audio community with attracting more developers, users, etc. to
start using Linux for serious audio work.

  The thing that has been frustrating me lately is that there are
developers that are offering "free" (as in free beer) software, but
they seem to have no interest in a GPL release for Linux!  (For
example, VST plugins like Ambience, GSnap, etc.)  Maybe I'm just
stupid, but that doesn't make sense to me.  Unless it is simply due to
their unfamiliarity with Linux programming, and the thought of
maintaining support for another OS...

   So I was wondering if there was any ongoing "official" effort to
pull these developers over to the light side.  Would a bounty help
persuade them?  Any thoughts?

-TimH