[linux-audio-user] Software suitable for children

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Dec 9 16:27:16 EST 2006

michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:

> I've joined the squeakland mailing list and hope to learn more from the
> conversations there, and of course experimenting with squeak as well.
>
> I'm particularly interested in working with kids to build mechanisms using
> motors and relays, controlling them via computer, and integrating with
> images
> and/or sounds on the computer. I'm pretty happy with my hardware
> interface and
> construction methods (foam core, hot glue, motors from solarbotics, objects
> removed from discarded electronic equipment, which the kids help take
> apart,
> etc.) but I've been searching for an easy-to-use, free, Linux supported
> multimedia environment that would support this. Squeak might be exactly
> what
> I've been looking for. Would you have any final thoughts on where I
> might look
> this sort
> of work with squeak?
>
> Thanks again for all your advice,
> Michael

Hmm... several people do work with squeak and robots, gumstix, etc.

Jon Hylands has done some work with robots and squeak.
http://www.huv.com/jon/

Stéphane Ducasse wrote a book about "virtual" robots. Might be helpful
http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc

I would search through the squeak-dev list for what you are looking for:
squeakbot site:lists.squeakfoundation.org
robots site:lists.squeakfoundation.org

there's a lot there.

--
brad fuller