[linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

Dan Easley daneasley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:12:57 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:16:04PM +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>
> > If somebody works 9to5 on some daytime job then how much
> > time and energy he can allocate to writing some software on his spare time?
>
> 5to9

Ah, that's classic.  Well done.

Gracious, what a silly argument this professional-versus-amateur thing is.

I'm an amateur musician, and, while I can't say for sure that I'd be
able to make music professionally, I suspect I could, and I think I'm
glad I'm an amateur.  I'm not sure I'd want to restrict my idiom to
commercially viable rhythms and chord progressions.  (It's constant
eighth notes of I-V-IV, right?  Or was that the nineties?)

Wasn't Charles Ives an insurance salesman?

I suspect the 'amateur' (that is, not making a living from it) nature
of many linux audio composers/coders is in fact a positive point.
Certainly features and abilities arise out of need as needed, rather
than being held back until one can make money from them (then make
additional monies on the .x releases.)

I think it's a pointless distinction.  If I'm inadvertently fanning
the flames, please dump a bucket of water on my head.

Yours in atonal quintuplets,

the amateur rhetorician.

daneasley at gmail.com
dan at towndowner.com dan at burntpossum.com