[linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Tue Dec 12 21:54:54 EST 2006

Dan Easley wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:16:04PM +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>>
>> > If somebody works 9to5 on some daytime job then how much
>> > time and energy he can allocate to writing some software on his
>> spare time?
>>
>> 5to9
>>

> Ah, that's classic.  Well done.
>
> Gracious, what a silly argument this professional-versus-amateur thing
> is.
>
> I'm an amateur musician, and, while I can't say for sure that I'd be
> able to make music professionally, I suspect I could, and I think I'm
> glad I'm an amateur.  I'm not sure I'd want to restrict my idiom to
> commercially viable rhythms and chord progressions.  (It's constant
> eighth notes of I-V-IV, right?  Or was that the nineties?)
>
> Wasn't Charles Ives an insurance salesman?
Yes, albeit only because of the lack of focus of new music in New
England and the rest of the country.
He did study music (at Yale), was an accomplished pianist and organist,
and successful in insurance.
I wouldn't call him an amateur or a professional. I'd call him a
composer and pianist. And, is certainly one of my heroes.

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/