[linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Dec 12 22:42:49 EST 2006

> >> 5to9
> >>

> > Ah, that's classic.  Well done.
> >
> > Gracious, what a silly argument this professional-versus-amateur thing
> > is.
> >
> > I'm an amateur musician, and, while I can't say for sure that I'd be
> > able to make music professionally, I suspect I could, and I think I'm
> > glad I'm an amateur.  I'm not sure I'd want to restrict my idiom to
> > commercially viable rhythms and chord progressions.  (It's constant
> > eighth notes of I-V-IV, right?  Or was that the nineties?)
> >
> > Wasn't Charles Ives an insurance salesman?
> Yes, albeit only because of the lack of focus of new music in New
> England and the rest of the country.
> He did study music (at Yale), was an accomplished pianist and organist,
> and successful in insurance.
> I wouldn't call him an amateur or a professional. I'd call him a
> composer and pianist. And, is certainly one of my heroes.

How about "a fringe artist with a sane business model and a good sense for
reality?" This not only enabled him to compose music he liked, but also
allowed him to hire an entire ensemble to perform his works, even though his
art at the time was rather hard to digest by the mainstream consumers and
"professional" (there, I used the dreaded word ;-) performers alike.

P.S. Dan, very much enjoyed your rhetoric ;-)

Best wishes,

Ico