[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 00:27:29 EST 2006

On 12/1/06, Bill Allen <lau at ballen.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> At the risk of repeating myself, in the time that I've been just reading
> this thread (not to mention the time that you've been putting into
> trying the stuff mentioned) I could have downloaded 64Studio, set aside
> a 5-10 GB partition, installed it, and had a working system with all the
> real-time patched AMD64 music-enabled system that you can get. Yes,
> you've got to dual boot, I do it all the time. Ubuntu is my family
> system that we use for work and play, but when I want to do music I boot
> into 64Studio. It's simply a lot easier than trying to make a general
> purpose distro into a music enabled one.

I don't understand why everyone who tells me about some new Linux
thing has apparently had a breeze of a time with it, and yet when I
try it it never works.  I just downloaded and installed 64studio (I
didn't boot Linux for the remainder of my semester, like I promised
myself), and I find that jackd crashes out of the box (i.e. set to
46.4 ms latency).  It kind of feels like I have another Debian install
just like the previous one, only it doesn't detect the ethernet so I
can't search for help on the same machine.
After a few weeks using Windows, I'm not even sure why I was so intent
on Linux.  I think for a few weeks I was actually enjoying the
struggle.  I'm not now; is this going to be less of one?

-Chuckk