[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Johannes Mario Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Fri Dec 15 07:26:49 EST 2006

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> All this, however, is a byproduct of the fact that Linux is meant to run on
> everything from a washing machine to a supercomputer. Audio being a very
> specialized area begs for total integration of OS with specific hardware. In
> other words, we could definitely benefit from a vendor which specializes in
> professional low-latency hw/sw combo sales if we are to expect the level of
> polish expected from a modern OS.

Remember that Windows also requires considerable tinkering and tweaking
to become a feasible audio workstation. Several people I know of have
more troubles with their Windows DAWs then I have with my CCRMA
installations. In fact I was pretty amazed with CCRMA, I set up two
different audio boxes in less than an hour each, complete with RT
patches and latest version of ardour and many other apps.

Generally, as you point out, Linux Audio is a niche market, and
specialized distros being unstable is probably due to much less testing
and community than ordinary distros wich have many times as many users.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org