[linux-audio-user] "DVD-A"paranoia?

Alberto Botti alberto.botti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:54:32 EST 2006

Il giorno mar, 31/01/2006 alle 10.04 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove ha scritto:
> Plextors are very nice.  I have one of their CDRW units.

I own one of their DVD recorders, but I'm not happy to see things like
this (from http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/):

Plextor does obviously not tolerate that anyone can use the PX-755 drive
on Linux, or that anyone uses alternative scanning applications. Plextor
has introduced "protected commands" into this drive. Commands like
enabling/disabling Bitsetting, GigaREC or SilentMode, as well as all
quality check commands, now require to retrieve a code and send another
one that is calculated from the received one back to the drive,
otherwise those commands will be rejected by the drive.

It even seems like Plextor has tried to sue a developer who wrote a
Linux application to use some advanced features of their drives (thread
on http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138061).