[linux-audio-user] "DVD-A"paranoia?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Feb 1 13:59:43 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:54 +0100, Alberto Botti wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 31/01/2006 alle 10.04 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove ha scritto:
> > Plextors are very nice.  I have one of their CDRW units.
>
> I own one of their DVD recorders, but I'm not happy to see things like
> this (from http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/):
>
> Plextor does obviously not tolerate that anyone can use the PX-755 drive
> on Linux, or that anyone uses alternative scanning applications. Plextor
> has introduced "protected commands" into this drive. Commands like
> enabling/disabling Bitsetting, GigaREC or SilentMode, as well as all
> quality check commands, now require to retrieve a code and send another
> one that is calculated from the received one back to the drive,
> otherwise those commands will be rejected by the drive.
>

> It even seems like Plextor has tried to sue a developer who wrote a
> Linux application to use some advanced features of their drives (thread
> on http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138061).

Wow, this is F**KED UP - so you'd need to violate the DMCA to write a
driver.  What revenue stream are they trying to protect - do they charge
extra for a fully functional driver and/or burning software?

This is one of the worst things I've seen a vendor try to pull.  I'm
never buying another Plextor.

Lee