[linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 11:16:28 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 15:51, Dana Olson was like:
> On 2/2/06, tim hall <tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 17:08, Lee Revell was like:
> > > A better question would be, why is Demudi still Debian based rather
> > > than Ubuntu based?
> >
> > Because DeMuDi IS Debian. If it was based on Ubuntu it would be UbMuDi,
> > which is essentially what Dana is doing.
>
> I'm just making a wiki with howtos, at least at this point in time. I
> don't know how to make a real .deb package, nevermind repackage an
> entire distro.

OK, I stand corrected. This is basically what I've been doing with DeMuDi. I
only have half a clue about packaging myself, which I have never attempted to
put into practice.

> > The DeMuDi-1.2.1 live CD used the Ubuntu installer.
> > DeMuDi also introduced Xorg in 1.2.1 using the Ubuntu packages.
> >
> > Positive support and mutual co-operation like this makes for good
> > multimedia systems. We are about to start thrashing out a proper Debian
> > multimedia policy over the next few months. Any advice, suggestions,
> > requirements etc. from the Ubuntu camp could be extremely valuable.
>
> The only things I can think of probably have already been considered.
>
> Everywhere I read seems to indicate that while realtime-lsm is still
> supported in Debian, Ubuntu, and others, it is deprecated in favor of
> the rtlimits in the 2.6.12 and newer kernels. I currently use the
> set_rlimits 1.20 app to access this. So either I would recommend this
> be included in Debian or PAM with a proper setup. I don't know
> anything about PAM, but I've read that it's the ideal way, and
> set_rlimits is mainly for distros that won't use PAM. I don't even
> know if Debian uses PAM..
>
> I don't know if Debian will allow a kernel with Ingo's -rt patch, but
> from my small amount of testing, it is the way to go. I'm trying to
> get one into Ubuntu, and so far, Mark has told me "don't worry, you'll
> get it."

Probably worth checking this thread:
http://lists.agnula.org/pipermail/users/2006-February/009956.html

> There is a lot of software that I didn't see in Debian that some other
> musicians would like to see as well. I believe the dssi stuff has an
> ITP now, so that's a good thing.

Things should start moving faster in that direction over the next few weeks,
hopefully.
--
cheers,

tim hall