[linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Feb 2 14:33:21 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:51 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> The only things I can think of probably have already been considered.
>
> Everywhere I read seems to indicate that while realtime-lsm is still
> supported in Debian, Ubuntu, and others, it is deprecated in favor of
> the rtlimits in the 2.6.12 and newer kernels. I currently use the
> set_rlimits 1.20 app to access this. So either I would recommend this
> be included in Debian or PAM with a proper setup. I don't know
> anything about PAM, but I've read that it's the ideal way, and
> set_rlimits is mainly for distros that won't use PAM. I don't even
> know if Debian uses PAM..

Yes, Debian based systems all use PAM.

Hmm, have you been able to establish whether Dapper supports the new RT
priority rlimit OOTB, and if not, where the problem is (glibc, PAM,
bash, etc)?  It definitely seems like this should just work.

IMHO this is the biggest obstacle to getting low latency audio to work
by default.  Even with a non-rt kernel this should produce good results
(5-10ms for 2.6.14+ according to my tests).

Lee