[linux-audio-user] Re: Need for JACK Rack (2)?

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:11:58 EST 2006

> > > Loki Davison and another guy mentioned "om"
> > earlier in this thread, and
> > > I wonder whether it makes JACK Rack obsolete.
> > >
> > >   See http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/ .
> >
> > No,
> >
> > while om-synth can do all that jack-rack can do, it
> > takes a little more
> > work for the user to do so. jack-rack's advantage is
> > its simple
> > straightforward approach to a common need. And
> > om-synth's advantage is
> > its power :) IMHO they can very happily coexist.

As i said originally, om is big and powerful with it's standard gui.
The engine however is very light weight and i would be unshocked if it
were lighter than jack rack and more stable. So there may be demand
for a simple performance related gui for om (maybe called jack rack
2). More complex patch editing can be done in the om_gtk or the
python, supercollider, etc bindings. Engine and gui are not bound in
any way, so it's not very difficult to write another gui. You could
even make it load jack-rack files.

Loki